Learn How to Hang Glide!
While commercial instruction is not allowed at Fort Funston, there are a number or resources available to help new and experienced pilots fly here safely - read on to learn more!
Fort Funston Mentors
The Fellow Feathers Hang Gliding Club would like to help new pilots learn to fly Fort Funston safely and successfully!
If you have never flown at Fort Funston and/or are a new H-3, you will need a site intro by an experienced senior pilot to fly here. Please contact any of the pilots on the following list to set up a date and time. Items covered by the mentor will be:
- Site regulations
- Local FAA regulations
- Site boundaries, launch & LZs
- Weather, wind & rotors
- Launch techniques
- Soaring technique & etiquette
- Landing altitudes, approaches & spots
- And many other useful topics
Bay Area Fledglings
San Francisco is home to the Bay Area Fledglings; a self-organized group of pilots dedicated to supporting new, intermediate and experienced pilots achieve their flying goals throughout our lifelong journey of flight.
- One of the fastest-growing new pilot communities in the country
- 16 H3 promotions in the 2021 season
- Active mentorship, peer-support, and coaching
- Trip planning
- USHPA rating prep & reviews
- Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp communities
Commercial instruction is not allowed at Fort Funston, but local instructors are available for lessons at other Bay Area sites!
California Hang Gliding
Mission Soaring Center
Instructor: Pat Denevan
Norcal Hang Gliding
Instructor: Mike Briganti